Saturday 12 October 2013

Guild Publishing - A Post in honour of the uniform volume - An Antique Books GUIDE With VALUES!



Guild Publishing is probably best known for its series of faux leather books.
These are some of the most collected uniform volume sets and so I shall dedicate this brief post to Guild Publishing.

With green and red covers, all embellished with the same antique style gilt patterning and fine attention to detail, this series is one that will grace any bookshelf.
Guild Publishing printed some of the most famous novels published in this range so you can find Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca and even The Grapes of Wrath.

Some books are worth far more than others so I have listed a handful of the most valuable below and their approximate values:

The Hobbit - In First Guild Publishing Edition up to £60
The Lord of the Rings - In First GP Edition up to £40
The Silmarillion - In First GP Edition up to £30

The Great Gatsby - Up to £40

Nineteen Eighty-Four/ Animal Farm - Up to £20

Anne Frank's Diary - Up to £15

The Godafather - Up to £10

Rebecca - Up to £10

By comparison The French Lieutenant's Woman is worth approx £1

Description:

Each book has the same antique inspired cover design


Each book features the title and author on the spine in gold


A lovely gilt floral design is featured on each book


On some books the front papers are highly patterned also



The title page is always the same and always plain



Print details - these books are rarely older then 1978


Thanks for reading this brief guide!

3 comments:

  1. Nice guide, thank you!

    I'm recently starting to expand my library (if you can call it that), and are really fond of Charles Dickens. I have bought one Franklin Library edition, but these are hard to come by and often cost a fortune. So I got excited when I discovered these faux leather-bound books. I have to buy the books online, so I can't physically see the books. Therefore I have some questions regarding the quality:

    1. How is the paper quality (thick, thin, flimsy)?
    2. Are they illustrated?
    3. Are they pleasant to read (large enough margins, etc)?

    I hope you have the time to answer this on the one-and-a-half year old post :P

    (sorry, if this is a double post)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a large collection of these books and I'm curious to know if the titles are full versions our if they are abridged in some way. Animal Farm in particular. Could you shed some light on this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have around 60 to 70 of these books..they are lovely. I would love to complete the set and so wondered if anyone knew of a list of this red blue green range of books so i can hunt them all down. The company seems to be no more..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I really appreciate it!